Moving into your new home should be an exciting time in your life, but when you are organising final bills, exchanging contracts and frantically packing up boxes it can become very stressful. Forward planning and careful organisation can minimise some of the stresses of moving into your new home.
This checklist covers all the important tasks you should complete before moving day, as well as some handy tips for helping the whole process go as smoothly as possible.
Two Months Before Moving Day
Once you have found your dream home and your offer has been accepted, it is time to start thinking about everything that needs to be done before you move in. This is when you need to get all the legal bits sorted to make sure the transaction goes through smoothly.
- Arrange your mortgage
- Organise a conveyancing solicitor to arrange surveys on your new home
- Confirm your moving date
- If you currently rent your home, let your landlord know your moving date
- Make sure your home insurance is sorted for the new property from the day you move in
- Get quotes from a range of removal companies. Check their references and reviews, and make sure their insurance adequately covers your move
- Notify your current utility companies that you are moving out
- Order any carpets or new furniture you need for your new home and arrange for them to be delivered when you move in.
Start thinking about packing early. If you have a lot of items you aren’t planning on bringing to your new home, then begin getting rid of them by selling them or donating to a charity shop.
Four To Six Weeks Before Moving Day
When there is just over a month until your moving day, it is time to get serious about packing and arranging the final details of moving day.
- Choose a removal company and book them for your moving day
- Make a full inventory of all your possessions
- Decide exactly what is coming with you to the new home and get rid of anything you aren’t bringing
- Collect boxes and other packing materials. You should be able to get them from your removal company or buy them online
- Start packing items you don’t use often and anything that isn’t essential
- Find out if there are parking restrictions near your new home and apply for any permits you may need.
Try and get a floorplan of your new home so you can plan where you are going to put all your furniture when you move in. You should be able to get one from your seller or estate agent.
Two Weeks Before Moving Day
With only two weeks until your move you need to start making sure all the little details are taken care of, so the day runs as smoothly as possible.
- Finalise everything with your removal company. You should confirm the timings, parking arrangements, directions to your new property and emergency numbers
- Book any services that need to be completed but aren’t being handled by your removal company. This includes dismantling flat pack furniture, house cleaning and un-plumbing appliances
- Arrange childcare and pet sitters for the moving day
- Cancel any local services you have at your current home such as newspapers, cleaners or gardeners
- Inform your doctor, dentist and optician that you are moving and need to deregister if you are moving out of the area
- Arrange with the post office for your post to be forwarded to your new address
- Make a list of everyone you know that should be aware if your new address and send out change of address cards to let them know
- Arrange a time to collect the keys for your new home from the estate agent
- Let your bank know you are moving and get them to change any direct debits or standing orders that are linked to your old address
- Continue packing as much as you possibly can. Pack away your most important documents in a safe and accessible place
- Pack an essentials box with everything you will need when you first get into your new home. This might include medications, tea and coffee, a few clothing items and anything else you will need before you have fully unpacked.
Begin trying to run down perishable items in your kitchen such as items in your freezer or fridge. Only buy the bare essentials from the supermarket to encourage you to use up all of the goods in your store cupboards so there are less things to pack!
One Day Before Moving Day
During your last 24 hours in your old home, you need to double check everything is done and arranged for your move.
- Do a final check through the property to make sure nothing has been left behind
- Prepare a mini tool kit with essentials like a sharp knife, screwdriver and a pen for opening boxes and sorting furniture on arrival
- Gather all the keys for your old home and ensure you have the keys organised for your new property
- Make sure your mobile phone is fully charged for moving day, a lot of people are going to be trying to get hold of you
- Let your friends and family know the details of your move and have some available to help you if you need it
- Pack some snacks and drinks for when you get hungry during moving day.
Make sure you have a night bag packed for all members of your family, so you can all have a comfortable first night in your new home. Make sure these are kept separately from the rest of your belongings and take these in the car with you instead of in the removal van.